STV for BC - Vote Yes!

Saturday, February 19, 2005

On a More Positive Note...

After my last rant, I figure it's time for something more constructive. So on that note, I thought I'd mention some more STV commentary which I dug up with google trawling:

There's some really articulate discussion of the pros and cons of using STV in B.C. at, of all places, ehMac.ca (Canada's Mac community) which was triggerred and followed up repeatedly by someone going by the username 'Gratuitous Applesauce'. Reading down through the page you can see his/her evolution from initial wariness towards STV towards a growing belief that it really is a good idea. Well worth a read (IMO).

In addition, I ran across a blog named Double Blind, which besides supporting STV is also just an all around interesting read, especially for people like me who are both math geeks and interested in B.C. politics.

Also, there is an STV-voting yahoo group here with lots of interesting messages although it focusses more on the technical details of vote counting under different electoral systems - still interesting though.


Sometimes, as I wander around the net, I'm struck by the difference in the quality of analysis collectively offerred up by blogs and online forums as compared to what you get on TV and in the newspapers. I don't know what the future holds for media, but a situation where the stuff you pay for is of poorer quality than the stuff which is free doesn't seem too sustainable if you ask me.

In other news, the B.C. government has a site up on the referendum. Nothing too much there as yet which you couldn't also find at the Citizen's Assembly site.

And finally, the Yes Campaign has a new and improved site (same address), which includes a 'demonstration' STV ballot in which you can 'vote' and see how the results work out under a STV vote count. To give credit where it's due, the poll appears to be taken from the demo-choice site.

Update: While I'm being charitable, I should also mention that while I don't think much of his columns (especially the ones on STV), Norman Spector's daily media round-up is most definitely a useful resource, and one that I check most days. Now if only he'd work on setting up decent archiving for his round-up and stop writing columns about STV...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home